Watershed is a software platform for running a world-class climate program. We measure our success in the carbon reduction achievements of our customers. We are looking for team members who love product-building, want to work hard at a mission-oriented startup, and will collaborate with us in shaping the culture of a growing team.
We have offices in San Francisco, New York and London and remote team members across the US and Europe. We hope that you'll be interested in joining us!
Accurately measuring carbon emissions is the first step to decarbonize the economy. Watershed is compiling an exhaustive carbon emissions dataset, powered by the latest climate science, and engineering a best-in-class calculation software to empower our customers to reduce emissions. And, we are building a team of Carbon Data Analysts to implement the end-to-end measurement experience for our customers. Measurement is both the first step in a customer’s climate journey and their first experience with Watershed, making this the foundation of not only a company’s climate program, but also their relationship with Watershed.
We’re looking for individuals to own measurements for some of the world’s leading corporate climate programs. You'll work directly with our customers to develop measurement strategies with industry leading companies, collect and transform their raw business activity data into final carbon numbers, and ensure they understand the methodology and processes that got them there.
As part of this work, you will:
- Work directly with customers to help them build a measurement strategy and identify the correct raw data (on everything from electricity consumption to cheese purchases to Bitcoin transactions) to measure their footprint.
- Help customers ingest and transform unstructured data sets so that they're ready for processing in our automated carbon data pipelines.
- Use our tooling to calculate, test, and publish finalized carbon footprint assessments.
- Explain the technical details of carbon accounting, emissions measurement methodology and how it applies to an individual customer’s business operations.
You might be a fit if you:
- Have 2+ years experience in a consulting, solutions-engineering, and/or customer-facing role. You are excited to work directly with customers to help them take the first step in setting up world-class climate programs
- Are an excellent verbal and written communicator. You can communicate complex topics to technical and non-technical audiences.
- Are organized, systematic, and efficient. You thrive in a high-volume environment.
- Are meticulous and detail-obsessed. You won't rest until you get the numbers right.
- Are willing to roll up your sleeves to work with unstructured and inconsistent data. You have good intuition for how numbers in a table map to the real world.
- Are passionate about solving climate change and excited to contribute to doing so at a fast paced startup. You learn quickly and operate well in ambiguity.
What’s your approach to remote work?
Watershed is hiring team members on all US and EU time zones, and we’re committed to growing a long-term distributed team. We have hub offices in San Francisco, New York and London, and remote team members from Oregon to New Jersey to Ireland. There may be certain jobs that need to be in San Francisco / New York / London or certain locations, and will be specifically noted in the job description or in conversations.
What’s the interview process like?
It starts the same for every candidate: getting to know the team members through 1 to 2 conversations about Watershed, your experience, and your interests. Next steps can vary by role, but usual next steps are a skill or experience screen (e.g. a coding interview for an engineer, a portfolio review for a designer, deeper experience call for other roles) which leads to a virtual or in person interview panel after that if the screens go well. We prioritize transparency and lack of surprise throughout the process.