Watershed is a software platform for running a world-class climate program. We measure our success in the carbon reduction achievements of our customers. We are looking for team members who love product-building, want to work hard at a mission-oriented startup, and will collaborate with us in shaping the culture of a growing team.
We have offices in San Francisco and London and remote team members across the US and Europe. We hope that you'll be interested in joining us!
The Watershed Marketplace is a core part of our mission and business. We enable companies to purchase cutting-edge clean power, carbon removal, and carbon offsets from a vetted group of best-in-class providers. The Marketplace helps companies go beyond measurement to take action to reduce their emissions, and accelerates the fight against climate change by directing dollars to accelerate the deployment of low-carbon technologies. The clean power, carbon removal, and carbon offsets market is nascent, and Watershed is playing a critical role as market pioneers to develop the space.
Our marketplace business is growing rapidly, and we’re hiring experienced Business Development Leaders to lead 3 key areas: clean power, technology-based and nature-based carbon removal projects. You’ll be a founding member of the Partnerships team, with huge scope to build a critical part of Watershed’s business. In this role, you will:
- Build a best-in-class ecosystem of marketplace partners in clean power, technology-based or nature-based carbon removal solutions:
- Understand the landscape of one of these markets
- Refine partner vetting criteria
- Source, vet, and sign new partners
- Onboard and lead partner relationships
- Generate and support demand for your partners
- Be the in-house expert in one of these markets
- Partner with the Climate Strategy and Sales teams to educate and pitch customers on clean power and carbon removal marketplace purchases
You might be a fit if you have:
- A passion for clean power, technology-based, or nature-based carbon removal solutions, and staying at the forefront of that evolving market
- Experience in and deep understanding of the technology and market for nature based carbon credits, carbon removal technology projects, or clean power certificates
- A track record of consultative selling and business development, and managing partner relationships
- A bias toward doing what it takes to get things done. You’ve accomplished things that others thought were impossible. You’re relentlessly resourceful
- A desire to join a startup, take responsibility for the fate of the company, and move fast
What's your approach to remote work?
Watershed is hiring team members on all US and EU time zones, and we're committed to growing a long-term distributed team. We have hub offices in San Francisco and London, and remote team members from Oregon to New Jersey to Ireland. There may be certain jobs that need to be in San Francisco / London or certain locations, and will be specifically noted in the job description or in conversations.
What are Watershed's return-to-office plans?
We reopened our San Francisco office in mid-June, and treasure the energy and collaboration that comes from working together in person. We're particularly lucky to have a great rooftop outdoor space, where we can gather for lunch, one-on-one's, and the occasional outdoor whiteboarding session. We're also investing deeply to support remote as a first-class hub, with regular Zoom social times, an emphasis on transparency and written artifacts, and periodic offsites to gather everybody in person.
We're a COVID-cautious company. The office is currently open to vaccinated team members, and we'll pay close attention to vaccination and case rates to ensure it's safe for everybody.
Do I need X years of experience, climate experience, etc.?
No, Watershed is hiring team members with a broad range of prior experience, and we'd love to talk with you regardless of yours. We prioritize mentorship on the job. There maybe certain jobs that will need X years of experience, and will be specifically noted in the job description.
What's the interview process like?
It starts the same for every candidate: getting to know the team members through 1 to 2 conversations about Watershed, your experience, and your interests. Next steps can very by role, but usual next steps are a skill or experience screen (e.g. a coding interview for an engineer, a portfolio review for a designer, deeper experience call for other roles) which leads to a (usually virtual) onsite interview after that if the screens go well. We prioritize transparency and lack of surprise throughout the process.