Watershed is a software platform for running a world-class climate program. We measure our success in the carbon reduction achievements of our customers. We are looking for team members who love product-building, want to work hard at a mission-oriented startup, and will collaborate with us in shaping the culture of a growing team.
We have offices in San Francisco and London and remote team members across the US and Europe. We hope that you'll be interested in joining us!
The Watershed Marketplace is a core part of our mission and business. We enable companies to purchase cutting-edge clean power, carbon removal, and carbon offsets from a vetted group of best-in-class providers. The Marketplace helps companies go beyond measurement to take action to reduce their emissions, and accelerates the fight against climate change by directing dollars to accelerate the deployment of low-carbon technologies. The clean power, carbon removal, and carbon offsets market is nascent, and Watershed is playing a critical role as market pioneers to develop the space.
Our marketplace business is growing rapidly, and we’re hiring an experienced leader to develop our clean power marketplace offering and lead the GTM. You’ll be a founding member of the Partnerships team, with huge scope to build a critical part of Watershed’s business. In this role, you will:
- Build a clean power product offering to support new technologies and bring more clean power onto the grid
- Understand the landscape of the clean power market
- Develop the most additional product offering that can scale across customer needs and energy loads
- Source, vet, and negotiate terms with new partners
- Lead ongoing relationships and expansion with clean power partners
- Build the playbook for how Watershed customers reduce their energy emissions
- Be the in-house clean power expert
- Advise and educate customers on how to build an impactful clean power strategy
- Close large deals connecting Watershed customers to top clean power projects
You might be a fit if you have:
- A passion for clean power and staying at the forefront of the evolving market.
- 5+ years of experience in clean power and deep understanding of the technology and market for products like EACs, VPPAs, onsite generation, storage, and more.
- A track record of consultative selling and business development.
- A bias toward doing what it takes to get things done. You’ve accomplished things that others thought were impossible. You’re relentlessly resourceful.
- A desire to join a startup, take responsibility for the fate of the company, and move fast.
What’s your approach to remote work?
Watershed is hiring team members on all US and EU time zones, and we’re committed to growing a long-term distributed team. We have hub offices in San Francisco and London, and remote team members from Oregon to New Jersey to Ireland. There may be certain jobs that need to be in San Francisco / London or certain locations, and will be specifically noted in the job description or in conversations.
What are Watershed’s return-to-office plans?
We reopened our San Francisco office in June 2021, and treasure the energy and collaboration that comes from working together in person. We’re particularly lucky to have a great rooftop outdoor space, where we can gather for lunch, one-on-one’s, and the occasional outdoor whiteboarding session. We’re also investing deeply to support remote as a first-class hub, with regular Zoom social times, an emphasis on transparency and written artifacts, and periodic offsites to gather everybody in person.
We’re a COVID-cautious company. The office is open to vaccinated team members with regular testing, and we’ll continue to pay close attention to case rates to ensure it’s safe for everybody.
Do I need X years of experience, climate experience, etc.?
No, Watershed is hiring team members with a broad range of prior experience, and we’d love to talk with you regardless of yours. We prioritize mentorship on the job. There maybe certain jobs that will need X years of experience, and will be specifically noted in the job description.
What’s the interview process like?
It starts the same for every candidate: getting to know the team members through 1 to 2 conversations about Watershed, your experience, and your interests. Next steps can vary by role, but usual next steps are a skill or experience screen (e.g. a coding interview for an engineer, a portfolio review for a designer, deeper experience call for other roles) which leads to a (usually virtual) onsite interview after that if the screens go well. We prioritize transparency and lack of surprise throughout the process.