Watershed is a software platform for running a world-class climate program. We measure our success in the carbon reduction achievements of our customers. We are looking for team members who love product-building, want to work hard at a mission-oriented startup, and will collaborate with us in shaping the culture of a growing team.
We have offices in San Francisco and London and remote team members across the US and Europe. We hope that you'll be interested in joining us!
Virtually all global greenhouse gas emissions lie within the supply chain or product footprint of businesses. As a result, businesses around the world can bend the arc of global emissions toward zero. But only if their climate plans are based on the best science.
At Watershed, we believe the next few years are critical to shaping corporate climate ambition. Companies are announcing new climate commitments every month, and the standards for these programs are being set now.
We are looking for a seasoned climate leader to lead and grow Watershed’s cross-disciplinary team of climate science, engineering, and economics experts — and in so doing, help set the north star for corporate climate action as a whole.
You and your team will be responsible for answering questions like:
- Measurement: How should companies measure their emissions footprint — on everything from electricity consumption to cheese purchases to crypto transactions — not only to comply with current accounting standards, but to guide meaningful actions and support improving global emission measurement?
- Target Setting: How should Watershed, our customers, and the climate community evaluate competing sectoral approaches for “science-based target” setting — so that corporate commitments add up to the global ambition we need?
- Planning: What are the likely timelines on which critical mitigation technologies may come to market and what they will cost (e.g. sustainable air fuel, low emission cement, clean steel and aluminum, 24/7/365 clean power) — and how should companies plan their reduction pathways based on those timelines?
- Removals: What are the most promising frontier removal technologies, and what are their realistic paths to scale? For natural removals like reforestation, how can companies ensure projects they fund are as impactful as possible, and how should they evaluate and mitigate concerns about permanence?
By guiding Watershed’s decisions on these questions, you and your team will play a foundational role in shaping Watershed's product and services. You’ll also engage with the broader climate community, helping shape standards and drive best practices.
You might be a fit if you:
- Have a passion for translating the science of climate into concrete action
- Love tackling challenges that cross disciplines and going deep in multiple subjects
- Have demonstrated both influence in non-academic settings (e.g. business, government), and credibility at the highest academic standards
- Have built and led teams; bonus points for multi-disciplinary and cross-disciplinary teams
- Are effective at shaping consensus in new fields and driving progress in multi-stakeholder forums
- Have a Ph.D or other advanced degree in a climate-related field
What's your approach to remote work?
Watershed is hiring team members on all US and EU time zones, and we're committed to growing a long-term distributed team. We have hub offices in San Francisco and London, and remote team members from Oregon to New Jersey to Ireland. There may be certain jobs that need to be in San Francisco / London or certain locations, and will be specifically noted in the job description or in conversations.
What are Watershed's return-to-office plans?
We reopened our San Francisco office in mid-June, and treasure the energy and collaboration that comes from working together in person. We're particularly lucky to have a great rooftop outdoor space, where we can gather for lunch, one-on-one's, and the occasional outdoor whiteboarding session. We're also investing deeply to support remote as a first-class hub, with regular Zoom social times, an emphasis on transparency and written artifacts, and periodic offsites to gather everybody in person.
We're a COVID-cautious company. The office is currently open to vaccinated team members, and we'll pay close attention to vaccination and case rates to ensure it's safe for everybody.
Do I need X years of experience, climate experience, etc.?
No, Watershed is hiring team members with a broad range of prior experience, and we'd love to talk with you regardless of yours. We prioritize mentorship on the job. There maybe certain jobs that will need X years of experience, and will be specifically noted in the job description.
What's the interview process like?
It starts the same for every candidate: getting to know the team members through 1 to 2 conversations about Watershed, your experience, and your interests. Next steps can very by role, but usual next steps are a skill or experience screen (e.g. a coding interview for an engineer, a portfolio review for a designer, deeper experience call for other roles) which leads to a (usually virtual) onsite interview after that if the screens go well. We prioritize transparency and lack of surprise throughout the process.