Watershed is a software platform for running a world-class climate program. We measure our success in the carbon reduction achievements of our customers. We are looking for team members who love product-building, want to work hard at a mission-oriented startup, and will collaborate with us in shaping the culture of a growing team.
We have offices in San Francisco and London and remote team members across the US and Europe. We hope that you'll be interested in joining us!
Critical to the success of Watershed is distilling the complex and messy frontier of climate into simple and easy-to-understand explanations for our customers. We’re looking for a Design Technologist who can turn those explanations into web experiences across watershed.com.
To lead this work, we’re looking for someone who:
- Mastery in modern web technologies including React, Next.js, modern CSS, APIs and/or serverless.
- Demonstrated experience making performant, responsive webpages and maintaining accessible, scalable UI components.
- Familiarity with motion design and web animation tools, e.g. CSS animation, Framer Motion, GSAP, After Effects.
- Deep fluency in rapid prototyping and comfortable moving extremely quickly.
- Has an eye for the details and is excited to pair with a designer to push the craft.
- Is customer-obsessed and excited to spend time with users.
- Is excited to go deep on climate and become an expert on the economy's paths forward. Prior experience in the climate space is not necessary.
- Wants to join a startup, take responsibility for the fate of the company, and move fast.
Examples of things that you might work on next week at Watershed:
- Building and shipping new web experiences like watershed.com/climate-leads
- Distilling complex climate math down into easy-to-understand explanations, like watershed.com/wfh-calculator
- Prototyping new data visualizations to make climate data more accessible
- Maintaining and extending our design system
- Pair with product designers to prototype early-stage products
What’s your approach to remote work?
Watershed is hiring team members on all US and EU time zones, and we’re committed to growing a long-term distributed team. We have hub offices in San Francisco and London, and remote team members from Oregon to New Jersey to Ireland. There may be certain jobs that need to be in San Francisco / London or certain locations, and will be specifically noted in the job description or in conversations.
What are Watershed’s return-to-office plans?
We reopened our San Francisco office in June 2021, and treasure the energy and collaboration that comes from working together in person. We’re particularly lucky to have a great rooftop outdoor space, where we can gather for lunch, one-on-one’s, and the occasional outdoor whiteboarding session. We’re also investing deeply to support remote as a first-class hub, with regular Zoom social times, an emphasis on transparency and written artifacts, and periodic offsites to gather everybody in person.
We’re a COVID-cautious company. The office is open to vaccinated team members with regular testing, and we’ll continue to pay close attention to case rates to ensure it’s safe for everybody.
Do I need X years of experience, climate experience, etc.?
No, Watershed is hiring team members with a broad range of prior experience, and we’d love to talk with you regardless of yours. We prioritize mentorship on the job. There maybe certain jobs that will need X years of experience, and will be specifically noted in the job description.
What’s the interview process like?
It starts the same for every candidate: getting to know the team members through 1 to 2 conversations about Watershed, your experience, and your interests. Next steps can vary by role, but usual next steps are a skill or experience screen (e.g. a coding interview for an engineer, a portfolio review for a designer, deeper experience call for other roles) which leads to a (usually virtual) onsite interview after that if the screens go well. We prioritize transparency and lack of surprise throughout the process.