Watershed is a software platform for running a world-class climate program. We measure our success in the carbon reduction achievements of our customers. We are looking for team members who love product-building, want to work hard at a mission-oriented startup, and will collaborate with us in shaping the culture of a growing team.
We have offices in San Francisco and London and remote team members across the US and Europe. We hope that you'll be interested in joining us!
As the first experienced hire for the People Operations team at Watershed, you’ll be responsible for establishing the foundation of a world-class people ops function to ensure our rapidly growing teams can do their best work at Watershed. This role will set the strategic vision for people operations, partnering directly with the senior leadership team. This includes workforce planning, total rewards, performance management, employee experience and engagement, and talent development, and retention.
You are likely a good fit for this role if you have experience building out people operations teams and implementing related business systems and processes in high-growth and/or early to mid-stage technology companies. You should also bring a strong perspective on how to cultivate environments that attract and retain talent. As we grow rapidly, you’ll help us make key decisions about what to prioritize and when, and oversee the buildout and improvement of both our key technical systems alongside developing our employee engagement and experience strategy.
- Lead all aspects of the people operations function, including setting a vision and roadmap for making Watershed a great place to work
- Build, scale and mentor a diverse, ambitious, creative, and high-achieving people operations team as the company scales
- Act as a trusted strategic partner to senior leadership, recruiting, business operations and finance partners
- Oversee the development and implementation of competitive total rewards programs, talent management, learning and development, engagement, DEIB, and performance management
- Partner with leadership to implement Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging best practices throughout the employee experience at Watershed
- Implement systems and processes to assess the effectiveness of programs and practices against benchmark companies and industries, driving improvements where appropriate
- Enhance, implement and enforce key human resource policies and procedures that will improve the overall effectiveness of the organization and strengthen the employee experience
- Manage external vendors and consultants that support the people operations function and any related projects as required
We’re looking for someone who has:
- 8+ years of management or leadership experience in people operations
- Experience building and implementing people operations programs, policies and business systems in early stage environments
- Experience building world class people operations functions to support high growth companies, including what programs and initiatives to prioritize and when as the company grows and scales
- A deep understanding of the current market, including industry trends for compensation, benefits, training and general employee experience
- Experience in high-growth, fast-paced startup environments, preferably with hybrid remote and in-office teams
- NOTE: This role will not oversee recruiting, which is currently managed and led internally.
What’s your approach to remote work?
Watershed is hiring team members on all US and EU time zones, and we’re committed to growing a long-term distributed team. We have hub offices in San Francisco and London, and remote team members from Oregon to New Jersey to Ireland. There may be certain jobs that need to be in San Francisco / London or certain locations, and will be specifically noted in the job description or in conversations.
What are Watershed’s return-to-office plans?
We reopened our San Francisco office in June 2021, and treasure the energy and collaboration that comes from working together in person. We’re particularly lucky to have a great rooftop outdoor space, where we can gather for lunch, one-on-one’s, and the occasional outdoor whiteboarding session. We’re also investing deeply to support remote as a first-class hub, with regular Zoom social times, an emphasis on transparency and written artifacts, and periodic offsites to gather everybody in person.
We’re a COVID-cautious company. The office is open to vaccinated team members with regular testing, and we’ll continue to pay close attention to case rates to ensure it’s safe for everybody.
Do I need X years of experience, climate experience, etc.?
No, Watershed is hiring team members with a broad range of prior experience, and we’d love to talk with you regardless of yours. We prioritize mentorship on the job. There maybe certain jobs that will need X years of experience, and will be specifically noted in the job description.
What’s the interview process like?
It starts the same for every candidate: getting to know the team members through 1 to 2 conversations about Watershed, your experience, and your interests. Next steps can vary by role, but usual next steps are a skill or experience screen (e.g. a coding interview for an engineer, a portfolio review for a designer, deeper experience call for other roles) which leads to a (usually virtual) onsite interview after that if the screens go well. We prioritize transparency and lack of surprise throughout the process.