Watershed is a software platform for running a world-class climate program. We measure our success in the carbon reduction achievements of our customers. We are looking for team members who love product-building, want to work hard at a mission-oriented startup, and will collaborate with us in shaping the culture of a growing team.
We have offices in San Francisco and London and remote team members across the US and Europe. We hope that you'll be interested in joining us!
FP&A is a critical function for Watershed, and as the first FP&A hire this role will be responsible for the establishment of its foundation. You will elevate strategic decision making by improving visibility into business performance and providing data-driven insights that shape Watershed’s long term trajectory. This role will own financial planning, forecasting and budgeting for the company and will serve as a strategic business partner to Sales and other Go-to-Market functions, in addition to executive leadership.
We are looking for someone with experience as a strategic thought leader and highly effective finance business partner. You should be passionate about building and scaling functions from the ground up. You’ll bring past experience of identifying complex business problems and developing data driven action plans to address.
Some traits that are important to how we work: customer-obsession,, outcome oriented, inclusivity, and optimism. And we’re looking for owners, so we hope you’ll help us expand this list.
- Own key strategic financial processes for the business, including financial forecasting, budgeting, and reporting to key stakeholders. This includes managing monthly, quarterly and annual planning cycles.
- Own financial and business models that drive executive and board level decision making, with a focus on capital management and long-term financial planning
- Partner with the Go-to-Market (GTM) functions, particularly Sales, Marketing, and our Marketplace teams
- Develop metrics to track team-specific and company-wide trends, identify opportunities, provide recommendations, and collaborate across all levels
- Improve operational rigor, quality of insights and data accuracy across the finance function.
- Identify and implement improved financial planning systems to support Watershed’s growth
- Elevate all monthly financial reporting to be shared with internal and external stakeholders (e.g. executive team, Board of directors, employees)
You might be a fit if you have:
- Deep, relevant FP&A experience, with an emphasis on financial analysis, modeling and forecasting and cross-functional business partnerships
- Experience building and leading strategic finance and/or FP&A teams
- Proficiency in financial planning processes and business systems
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate complex financial matters simply to key stakeholders
- Experience managing enterprise Subscription-as-a-Service (SaaS) business models
- Ability to operate effectively in a fast-paced environment with little supervision
- A desire to join a startup, take responsibility for the fate of the company, and move fast
What’s your approach to remote work?
Watershed is hiring team members on all US and EU time zones, and we’re committed to growing a long-term distributed team. We have hub offices in San Francisco and London, and remote team members from Oregon to New Jersey to Ireland. There may be certain jobs that need to be in San Francisco / London or certain locations, and will be specifically noted in the job description or in conversations.
What are Watershed’s return-to-office plans?
We reopened our San Francisco office in June 2021, and treasure the energy and collaboration that comes from working together in person. We’re particularly lucky to have a great rooftop outdoor space, where we can gather for lunch, one-on-one’s, and the occasional outdoor whiteboarding session. We’re also investing deeply to support remote as a first-class hub, with regular Zoom social times, an emphasis on transparency and written artifacts, and periodic offsites to gather everybody in person.
We’re a COVID-cautious company. The office is open to vaccinated team members with regular testing, and we’ll continue to pay close attention to case rates to ensure it’s safe for everybody.
Do I need X years of experience, climate experience, etc.?
No, Watershed is hiring team members with a broad range of prior experience, and we’d love to talk with you regardless of yours. We prioritize mentorship on the job. There maybe certain jobs that will need X years of experience, and will be specifically noted in the job description.
What’s the interview process like?
It starts the same for every candidate: getting to know the team members through 1 to 2 conversations about Watershed, your experience, and your interests. Next steps can vary by role, but usual next steps are a skill or experience screen (e.g. a coding interview for an engineer, a portfolio review for a designer, deeper experience call for other roles) which leads to a (usually virtual) onsite interview after that if the screens go well. We prioritize transparency and lack of surprise throughout the process.