Watershed is a software platform for running a world-class climate program. We measure our success in the carbon reduction achievements of our customers. We are looking for team members who love product-building, want to work hard at a mission-oriented startup, and will collaborate with us in shaping the culture of a growing team.
We have offices in San Francisco, New York and London and remote team members across the US and Europe. We hope that you'll be interested in joining us!
FP&A is a critical function for Watershed and as the first FP&A hire, this role will be responsible for the establishment of its foundation. You will drive strategic decision making by improving visibility into business performance, leveraging data-driven insights to shape Watershed’s long term trajectory. You’ll manage financial planning, forecasting and budgeting for the company and will serve as a strategic business partner to Sales and other Go-to-Market (GTM) functions, in addition to executive leadership.
We are looking for someone with experience as a thought leader and highly effective finance business partner. You should be passionate about building and scaling functions from the ground up. You should also have a track record as an excellent collaborator and communicator. You’ll bring past experience of identifying complex business problems and developing action plans to address.
Some traits that are important to how we work: analytical, customer obsessed, outcome oriented, inclusive, optimistic. And we’re looking for owners, so we hope you’ll help us expand this list. We prefer this role to be in our San Francisco HQ.
- Own financial planning, budgeting, financial forecasting and critical elements of the company operating plan. Drive the quarterly and annual planning cycles.
- Develop and own financial and business models that drive executive and board level decision making, with a focus on capital management and long-term strategic planning
- Partner closely with the Go-to-Market (GTM) functions on business strategy and execution, particularly Sales, Marketing, and Marketplace / partnerships
- Develop and publish metrics to track company performance and drive accountability. Identify high ROI opportunities and partner with others to make them a reality.
- Improve operational rigor, data accuracy and integrity and the quality of insights within finance and across the business
- Identify and implement improved financial planning and budgeting systems and processes
- Own monthly financial reporting for key external stakeholders (e.g. investors, Board of directors)
- This will be a strategic individual contributor role for the first 12~ months, and then will build a team
You might be a fit if you:
- Have deep FP&A experience (likely 7+ years), with an emphasis on financial analysis, modeling and forecasting
- Have 3+ years of strategically supporting and partnering with GTM functions (Sales, Marketing, Bus Dev/Partnerships)
- Have B2B enterprise SaaS experience is required
- Have experience building and leading strategic finance and/or FP&A teams
- Have proficiency in developing and implementing budgeting and planning processes
- Have a clear track record of successfully cultivating cross-functional business partnerships
- Have strong interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate complex financial matters simply to key stakeholders
- Have strong business and financial systems knowledge (e.g. Salesforce, Anaplan, NetSuite)
- Have the ability to operate effectively in a fast-paced environment
- Have a desire to join a startup, take responsibility for the fate of the company, and move fast
What’s your approach to remote work?
Watershed is hiring team members on all US and EU time zones, and we’re committed to growing a long-term distributed team. We have hub offices in San Francisco, New York and London, and remote team members from Oregon to New Jersey to Ireland. There may be certain jobs that need to be in San Francisco / New York / London or certain locations, and will be specifically noted in the job description or in conversations.
What’s the interview process like?
It starts the same for every candidate: getting to know the team members through 1 to 2 conversations about Watershed, your experience, and your interests. Next steps can vary by role, but usual next steps are a skill or experience screen (e.g. a coding interview for an engineer, a portfolio review for a designer, deeper experience call for other roles) which leads to a virtual or in person interview panel after that if the screens go well. We prioritize transparency and lack of surprise throughout the process.